THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Bari-Educational TV: Videos To Teach You About You And Your Options

  • 1. The Stages of Digestion
  • 2. Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass
  • 3. Gastric Banding
  • 4. Sleeve Gastrectomy
  • 5. Duodenal Switch
"Eat right, exercise regularly, die anyway."

~ Author Unknown

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Everything I Ever Needed to Learn Was Definitely Not All Learned In Kindergarten

I'm verklempt!!  In my opinion, my weight loss surgery journey began the moment that I arrived at the informational session for the program and although I haven't even made it into the operating room yet, I am beyond amazed at the changes that I am seeing in my life.  Sure, I've already seen some of the numbers on the scale go down and that's nice.  I'll really be ecstatic about that after surgery when they're going down at record pace!  The changes that I'm seeing that have so far made the most difference, are the things that I've learned about myself and why I eat, and second, the power that this decision has made in my willingness to reach out to others for help and support.

I got a phone call today from my oldest sister.  Throughout all of our years, we have never been close and I mean ever, but she called me today because I'd left her a message on Facebook to check in on me here at the blog.  We talked for probably an hour about weight, about our other goals, and all kinds of things.  I couldn't believe that we were having such a great conversation.  She wanted to make sure that I knew what I was getting myself into, to make sure that I knew that this surgery isn't a quick fix, and to offer her support.  She was really looking out for me and I just can't tell you.....it means SO much!! 

Going into this process, I figured that I would have my mom's support but I wasn't sure of the reaction that I would get from the rest of the family.  I think that I expected them to have the opinion that I was taking the "easy way" out so I didn't expect much in the line of support.  Wow, I am so glad that I was wrong!!  Right now, my sister calling me means as much, if not more, than if President Obama were to call me himself.  Now that's powerful because I'd probably pee my pants if he called!! That would just be over the top!!

For me, I know that the head work and the support will be my keys to being successful long term.  I'm a binge eater, but I'm an emotional binge eater.  Sure I have my cravings, but I generally binge due to what I'm feeling emotionally.  Between my support group, my friends, my family, and my twibe-mates, more and more I am being reaffirmed that I CAN DO THIS!!! Oh, and let me not forget that therapy has and always will continue to play its part.

My heart feels so full right now and I know this sounds sappy and stuff but I'm 35 years old and single.  My greatest source of depression over my life has been loneliness and during my adult years, the fact that I'm single and haven't had really successful relationships with men.  Within my family, I've always been the odd duck so I've never really been close with them. Thanks to Facebook, I've been in touch with old friends that are married with kids and I've learned that the grass isn't necessarily greener on the other side of the fence.  I've learned that there are things in life that I can value being single that married people sometimes long for.  I'm learning that you can indeed be surprised by what things in life bring people together and that it doesn't have to be a tragic event, and I'm learning that support comes in many forms and that it is all of these forms working together that make the difference.

0 comments: