THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Bari-Educational TV: Videos To Teach You About You And Your Options

  • 1. The Stages of Digestion
  • 2. Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass
  • 3. Gastric Banding
  • 4. Sleeve Gastrectomy
  • 5. Duodenal Switch
"Eat right, exercise regularly, die anyway."

~ Author Unknown

Friday, October 30, 2009

Still Going Strong

It's been a very arduous week at work so I haven't had a chance to post but I'm still going strong on the liquid diet.  It took a few days to get the hang of what I CAN have and of course it took my body a few days to get adjusted to things, but overall I'm doing pretty well.  I've lost about 6 lbs. this week so I'm definitely happy with that.  I've lost just about all of my "Last Supper" regain.  I haven't been able to give up watching television this week but I figure I was having an insane moment of mania where I really thought momentarily that I had super powers or something because me giving up television is indeed more difficult to imagine than me giving up food.  I'm living in a hotel right now so I don't have my TIVO set up so not watching tv without having my TIVO to record my shows...yeah, not gonna happen.

Not much to really say.  I told a friend the other day that I was having gastric bypass and met with the first extremely strong voice of opposition that I've gotten so far.  The response was "rearranging your digestive system can't be good for you...", "....all you need to do is get on a treadmill, have you tried that?" as well as asking if anybody knew the long term effects of weight loss surgery.  I'm like, dude, the long term effect is that you live a healthier life!! A longer life!!  Should I ever lose my mind and decide to get pregnant, I could have a healthier pregnancy and a healthier baby! I can rebel against my family history of high blood pressure and diabetes!!

I think that people don't realize that weight loss surgery is nothing new.  We hear about it more now because more people are having the surgery, because more insurance companies are covering it, but people have been doing this for a very long time.  I'm 5' 3" and at my highest weight was 233 lbs.  Some people look at that number and think that I don't need surgery because I'm not 300, 400, or 500 lbs. or more and my response to that is when I see that the situation is out of control, why wait until it gets worse??  Alot of people look at me and don't think that I'm big enough for surgery which, I guess is meant to be complementary, but in a way tells me that they're okay with me being the fat girl.  They're used to it.  I look forward to seeing the change in people's attitudes toward me once I am smaller.

I was talking to someone today that has a friend that is post-op gastric bypass.  She said that her friend had her surgery in 2008 and that when she looks at her friend now, she can't even remember what she looked like when she was fat.  I want someone to be able to say that about me.  More importantly, I want to be able to say that about myself!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Alot of people look at me and don't think that I'm big enough for surgery which, I guess is meant to be complementary, but in a way tells me that they're okay with me being the fat girl. They're used to it. I look forward to seeing the change in people's attitudes toward me once I am smaller."

You know, part of that IS a complement. You ARE SO beautiful. Not sure what it is about, but you are so beyond gorgeous. And your personality is, too. You hide things well, at least when I knew you, and I know we only ran together. But you have such a positive spirit, that a lot of times people don't see the sadness or pain inside (which we all have for various reasons).

I am happy you are doing this FOR YOU. And taking time to think, not just look at the numbers on the scale.

Love you girl.