THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Bari-Educational TV: Videos To Teach You About You And Your Options

  • 1. The Stages of Digestion
  • 2. Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass
  • 3. Gastric Banding
  • 4. Sleeve Gastrectomy
  • 5. Duodenal Switch
"Eat right, exercise regularly, die anyway."

~ Author Unknown

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Post-Op Inspiration

Hey there Post-Ops!!  I'd love some inspiration from you as I'm winding down my last 3 weeks before surgery. I'm having laparoscopic RNY.  I want to know from you two things....

  1. What was your most embarassing moment as a morbidly obese person?
  2. In what way has your life changed so that moment would never happen to you today (other than the obvious weight loss)?
If you prefer, you could answer any of these questions in addition or instead....
  1. What were your thoughts going into those last few days or weeks before surgery?
  2. In retrospect, what do you wish that you would have known then that you would change if you had it to do all over again?  (e.g. I would have read more about.... or I would have gone to more support groups, etc.)
  3. What has been your greatest mental or emotional struggle since you had your surgery?
  4. What does your weekly exercise routine consist of?
  5. Did you experience any serious complications and if you're comfortable, would you mind sharing some of your experiences?
  6. And lastly, what's on your Bucket List now that you've lost your excess weight that you wouldn't have been able to do before?
Please tell me how long it has been since you had your surgery.  You can leave your comments here on the blog openly or anonymously, your choice. 

As you can tell from my blog, as well as my presence on Facebook, Twitter, and the Twibe,  I've been researching my upcoming surgery quite extensively since I started the process back in January.  I have my last pre-op appointments with my surgeon and dietician this Thursday 10/22, then will be starting my two week liquid liver reduction diet next Monday, 10/26.  Nothing motivates me more than hearing your stories both good and bad.  I like hearing the truth because I know that medicine is not a perfect science for anyone.

Thanks in advance for sharing and tweeting and for being my fellow twits and tweeples!

Thinking thin,
travelingvixen
(aka Ericka)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay you've got me and my opinion going on here :) My name is Johanna "hannie" and I had my surgery (open-RNY) back in 2001. Let's hear my spin shall we....

What was your most embarassing moment as a morbidly obese person?

One, learning that I was morbidly obese. Two, I was at work with all the customer service supervisors behind me listening to calls. The chair broke under me and I went flying and you can just see the look of horror on their faces. Guy next to me says "You know, I've been fighting for sturdier chairs for some time. I'm sorry that happened and maybe someone will listen to me NOW." ugh.

In what way has your life changed so that moment would never happen to you today (other than the obvious weight loss)?

Even though I am super light, you know I am still considered morbidly obese according to the BMI. I would like to see it eradicated and a different scale used.

My life has changed in that I have learned patience and lemme tell you, I'm not one of those happy positive WLS stories. I'm grateful to be alive and grateful to have patience to deal with whatever is dished my way medically so far.

What were your thoughts going into those last few days or weeks before surgery?

I was excited, yet scared. My date had been moved around so many times, I was just like well, if this is meant to happen, it shall.

In retrospect, what do you wish that you would have known then that you would change if you had it to do all over again? I think that I would have known more about the downsides of surgery, what can happen later on down the line as far as malabsorption and what can and will go wrong. However, I couldn't predict that, not in the least. There was less information in that respect at the time. I'm glad that there is more information, resources and support from the medical community these days.

What has been your greatest mental or emotional struggle since you had your surgery?

Dealing with emotional eating, which was much of my reason for getting to morbidly obese. I think that not enough of us really examine how we got to rock bottom. It's difficult to really get to the core of that, but you can and addressing the underlying issues of that can make you twice as successful in my eyes.

What does your weekly exercise routine consist of?

I don't really have one at this point. I spend much time being sick more than anything else. If I had one, it would absolutely be walking with my iPod. Walking is the best exercise no matter what weight you are. Walk walk walk.

Did you experience any serious complications and if you're comfortable, would you mind sharing some of your experiences?

You don't wanna know my long list right now, but whenever you got a moment please check out my new wls blog at http://hannie.wordpress.com.

And lastly, what's on your Bucket List now that you've lost your excess weight that you wouldn't have been able to do before?

I'm still really restricted as to what I can and cannot do. I wanted to be able to ride a rollercoaster but I can't even do that. So I live vicariously through others, I confess. I had my son go and test all the coasters at Six Flags and he would review them for me. My family will eat sugary stuff from time to time and tell me their thoughts on how they liked it and if they thought I would like it or not.