THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Bari-Educational TV: Videos To Teach You About You And Your Options

  • 1. The Stages of Digestion
  • 2. Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass
  • 3. Gastric Banding
  • 4. Sleeve Gastrectomy
  • 5. Duodenal Switch
"Eat right, exercise regularly, die anyway."

~ Author Unknown

Friday, October 23, 2009

On Your Mark.....

Well, I think I'm pretty prepared for my liquid diet.  I've got more protein powder in my house right now than the amount of protein in my body, my dog's body, and my cat's combined!  That's okay though because I know that part of this is for the next two weeks and the rest will be put to good use after my big day.  I'm trying to get some different varieties to see what I like, but also keeping in mind that my taste buds will likely change after surgery.  I'd purchased some Chike Very Vanilla and Banana Creme but was disappointed when I looked at the labels and found that they each have 11-12g of carbs in them.  I discussed it with my dietician yesterday and she gave me a few options.  I can a) send it back, or b) go ahead and use it but decrease carbohydrates in other areas. I really like the taste of the Chike so I'm still trying to decide what to do.  It's a difficult decision as each has 28g of protein!

I decided to stop by Vitamin Shoppe on the way home just to take a peek and came across a few additional brands that are worthy of giving a try.  I bought Nectar Vanilla Bean Torte and Nectar Caribbean Cooler.  Both carry 23g of protein, 0g of carbs, 0g of sugar, and 0g of fat!  If I like the taste of the Nectar Vanilla, the decision about the Chike will be easily made.  I also picked up 4 bottles of the Isopure glass bottle protein drinks, each with 40g of protein in Mango Peach, Passion Fruit, Grape, and Apple Melon as well as one individual vial of the New Whey Liquid Protein with 42g of protein in 3.4 oz.

Oh gee, did I forget to mention that several weeks ago I'd already ordered 2 tubs each of Unjury Chicken Soup, Unflavored, and Chocolate?  And darn, I also forgot to mention that I picked up an Unjury Strawberry Sorbet and 2 boxes of  Health Wise Pineapple, one of my ultimate favorites.  Wow!! Yeah, I think that I'm definitely ready!!  I'll have to give up my green smoothies for now but will hopefully be able to add those back in later with some protein added in.  Maybe I can really do this!! 

One thing that I've already learned in looking ahead to the post-op days is that I'll need to be creative.  I had one challenge that I wasn't sure how I would overcome.  As I mentioned in a previous post, I work in an operating room.  I'm in a unique position where I very rarely get breaks of any kind.  On many days, I'm doing pretty good if I've had the chance to run to the bathroom during the course of the day...and lunch??  You can't exactly pull out a sandwich and start munching away!  The challenge, how to remain hydrated and find a way to sip on my protein fluids throughout the day.  It took some brainstorming and the only thing that I could think of is a Camelbak (you know, those special backpacks that cyclists wear that hold water?).  Well, I can't exactly walk around the room with a Camelbak attached to my back so I did a little research.  It turns out that Camelbak has a few designs that are lumbar packs that can be worn like fanny packs!  I can wear it as a fanny pack and run the drinking tube through my scrub shirt and keep it at my shoulder.  That way, I can sneak a few sips here and there so that I don't get dehydrated, and it doesn't compromise the sterility of the environment. Ha, the best part is that it has extra pockets that I can use to carry some of my supplies!!

If you'd told me one year ago, that the money that I'd budgeted for groceries would all be going to protein powders and mix-ins, I would have thought you crazy, but now, this is a reality for me.  My protein supplements will be a part of my grocery budget for life and with all of the great recipes that I've come across online, I'm okay with that.  There are so many varieties out there and so many ways to prepare them that it doesn't have to get boring.  I'm starting to see a bit into the future and learning that with some creativity, it is possible to get used to a new life and a way of eating that is completely foreign from anything that I've ever known.




*Health Wise products are only available through a licensed medical professional.  Bariatric Choice offers a different brand called Bari Wise which is available in a variety of flavors including pineapple. 























0 comments: