THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Bari-Educational TV: Videos To Teach You About You And Your Options

  • 1. The Stages of Digestion
  • 2. Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass
  • 3. Gastric Banding
  • 4. Sleeve Gastrectomy
  • 5. Duodenal Switch
"Eat right, exercise regularly, die anyway."

~ Author Unknown

Friday, October 2, 2009

Sad Goodbyes....or Should I Say TTFN

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have a unique situation with my job.  I work in a healthcare position with a company that has several regions around the country.  I elected to be a traveler when I was hired on 4 years ago, so I literally pick up and move every 3-6 months or so.  The longest stay that I've had is only 8 months and I've now lived in 10 states over the course of these 4 years.  I love the traveling!  It gives me a great opportunity to see so much of the country, but the downfall is that it is often difficult to make and maintain social relationships. 

Shortly after I started my weight loss journey in North Carolina, I was transferred to Albany, New York.  I quickly sought out a weight loss surgery support group because I knew that I had more research to do and I wanted to be able to meet other post-op patients and hear their stories.  I wanted to hear both about the positives and negatives of the surgery so that I can be prepared when my time comes.  I found exactly what I was looking for in the Capital District of New York Weight Loss Surgery Support Group.  I've made some incredible friendships and become so informed that I feel like I know what to do in case of a complication as well as simple things like ideas for making the liquid and soft food diets more palatable.

I hope and pray that these friendships will last for a lifetime.  I have a small family that is currently not educated on the process of weight loss surgery or the long term change in lifestyle.  I try to talk to them when I can, but I know that their education will come moreso after I've had my surgery and they see the changes in me.  Moving around the country has its disadvantages because not all cities have bariatric programs or support groups that I can attend on an ongoing basis.  While I will of course do all of the necessary after-care with my doctor,  I will still be relying heavily on my friends in New York.  Thank God we have a Facebook group to make it easier.  Hmm...I'll have to figure out how to Skype my way into the weekly meetings.

I am so thankful for these friends.  They've been so open and honest about what to expect and the experiences that they've had that I now feel like I'm ready to do this!  I feel like I can face whatever comes my way and know that I still have the support that I need that simply says...."Try this...." or "....this worked for me".  Thank you so much Capital District for your stories, your honesty, and your friendship.  You have given me confidence as well as the knowledge of what I need to do to become successful for the long term.  I certainly hope that I'll get to see you again even though you may not recognize me when you see me! I will of course look for support groups that are local to wherever I am, but I will always recognize this group as my weight loss support family, and what a non-dysfunctional family we are!